How do I become a Volunteer Firefighter?
Welcome potential future member and thank you for considering membership at Garden City Park Volunteer Department. Volunteer firefighting or Volunteer Emergency Medical Services (EMS) is a very rewarding and valuable way to serve your community. It takes dedication and many hours of training to become a firefighter or emergency medical technician (EMT).
The basic steps to becoming a volunteer firefighter:
- Make sure you're ready to commit. Making the decision to become a volunteer firefighter or emergency medical technician should not be taken lightly. It requires hundreds of hours of training and a strong commitment to service.
- Once you are ready to step up for the challenge, stop by the firehouse for an application or email [email protected] with contact information so a member of the chief staff reaches out to you to get you an application.
- Complete the application and return it as soon as possible so we can get you in for an interview with the Chief of Department and start the process for background screening.
- Once the whole process is done and you are sworn in as a member of Garden City Park Fire Department, be prepared to start training and be the best you can be for your community.
Volunteering FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
While all your questions and concerns about joining will be addressed during your investigation and interview you can read the frequently asked
questions that other potential members have had.
Q: What are the different companies with the Garden City Park Fire Department?
A: The Garden City Park Fire Department has 1 Truck Company, 3 Engine Companies and 1 EMS Company.
Q: How many fire stations are with the Garden City Park Fire Department and what are their locations?
A: The Garden City Park Fire Department has 2 stations. Headquarters, which is located at 2264 Jericho Turnpike, is the house for Truck Company 1, Engine Company 2 & Rescue Company 5. Our Station 2 is located at 1030 Denton Avenue. Station 2 is home for Engine Company 3, Engine Company 4 & Rescue Company 5.
Q: What is the difference between Truck Company & Engine Company?
A: The truck company operates a 95 ft Ladder Truck & Heavy Rescue. The truck company’s primary function is searching for life at a structure fire. They are also responsible for extrication calls such as a person trapped in a car due to a motor vehicle accident. The engine company’s on the other hand operate a single fire engine. The engine company’s primary function at a fire is to put the fire out. The engine company will work with the truck to locate and put the fire out. You will learn more about the differences once in as a member and start training.
Q: What is the Rescue Company?
A: Garden City Park Fire Department provides the community, and at times neighboring communities, an emergency ambulance service. Rescue Company 5 is made up of “Basic Life Support” (BLS) EMT’s and also “Advance Life Support” EMT’s. Garden City Park F.D has one ambulance at each station. Rescue Company also has a tech car which responds directly to scene with an EMT to provide care right away for a patient. The Rescue company’ primary function is to respond to medical emergencies and provide pre-hospital care. They as well assist on fire scenes as medical protection / REHAB for fire personnel.
Q: What are the general requirements for becoming a Firefighter or Emergency Medical Technician with the Garden City Park Fire Department?
A: You must be at least 18 years old, be in good health, and be a resident in the vicinity of the Garden City Park Fire District.
Q: What are the responsibilities of a member of the Garden City Park Fire Department?
A: The general responsibilities of members include (but are not limited to):
- Attendance at all department and company Meetings.
- Attendance at all department and company training's.
- Completing all required training.
- Parades and other community events.
Q: Where and when can I pick up an application?
A: You may pick an application up at the Garden City Park Fire Department Water / Fire District located at 333 Marcus Ave New Hyde Park, NY 11040. The contact number is 516-746-3194. You can also send an email to [email protected] with contact information so arrangements can be made by the Chief Staff to get you an application as soon as possible.